Mark Schaefer blends his brilliant combination of smarts, business insight, and wit as a forward-thinking blogger, marketing professional, author, and speaker. He’s not afraid to put his ideas into the world and loves interacting with members of his community, even when, or perhaps especially when, they don’t agree with him.
Before Mark introduced us to the concept of “content shock,” he sat down with host Todd Wheatland to discuss his background and his passion for what he delivers every day throughSchaefer Marketing Solutions.
What may surprise you
- Mark grew up with five siblings in a two-bedroom house with only one bathroom.
- In college, he was a chemistry major but switched to journalism after taking an intro to journalism class.
- Mark worked at Alcoa for over 25 years. He earned two master’s degrees while employed there.
- While working at Alcoa, he obtained seven patents under his name.
- As Global Director of eBusiness at Alcoa, he worked on creating some of the first e-commerce sites in Russia and China.
Mark will be the first to tell you that his 25-year career at Alcoa was truly great. Unlike so many who start their consultancy practice, Mark was not laid off nor was he frustrated with what he was achieving in his corporate position. As a matter of fact, Alcoa offered Mark a position as an internal management consultant in Switzerland, a country he loved. After six months of going back and forth with the company, he decided to go out on his own because he just needed to do something else.