Every day an “expert” declares email marketing dead, and a quick search of “email is dead” (in quotes) in Google shows that there are over 200,000 articles written to that effect.
Is email marketing really dead?
Let’s take a look at some quick stats:
- As of 2013, there were around 3.9 billion email accounts worldwide and this is estimated to reach 4.9 billion email accounts by 2017
- 95% of online consumers use email
- 91% of consumers check their email once a day
- The average return for every $1 spent on email marketing is $44.25
- Email has been proven to be 40 times better at acquiring new customers than Facebook and Twitter
- 90% of people prefer to receive updates via email compared to Facebook or other social media
- Email conversion rate has been proven to beat search and social combined, with email converting at 3.19% and search and social converting at 1.95% and 0.71% respectively